Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Of gluttony and painting.

I was thinking about the poem I posted yesterday and hoped that no one took me too seriously. While it is true that there is no "all-you-can-eat" in Europe, I don't know that it is such a good thing that we have it here. There has been many an evening when I wobbled away in gluttonous shame from the buffet at the Chinese restaurant near my home. I've got a weakness for fried drumplings that borders on vice.

My latest artistic endeavor is taking shape. The bad weather last week had prevented me from buying the canvas I needed, but last Friday the heavens relented and I was able to get started. I ended up downsizing from my original plan, partly because the canvas would have been too expensive and partly because I was intimidated. 30" X 40" is still a respectable size.

It's been ages since I last painted. Rediscovering the feel of the paint brush, remembering how to layer color, and the calm of being focused on a single task has been a joy. I've got a long way to go, but I feel like I've made a sold start.

4 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

Yippee! Can you hear me squealing? This is turning out just as you described...

the mother of this lot said...

Looking good!

Casdok said...

Its lovely!
And so are fried dumplings!!

Jennie said...

It looks fabulous. I wish I could paint but I can only admire other peoples work, and admiring yours I most certainly am!