Thursday, February 21, 2008

Evil is as evil does.

I've been searching for post inspiration, but to be honest, I'm in a bit of a foul mood (an alter ego, the hubby refers to as The Evil Queen). There are minor mundane reasons, nothing serious. Things that,"Off with their heads!" would fix right quick.

On the topic of "evil" women:
I was never drawn to the heroines in Disney movies when I was little. The role of a princess waiting in hygienic, vacuum-sealed slumber for some wealthy dude on a horse to kiss her and give her life meaning didn’t appeal to the little warrior in me. The villains, though! Powerful, independent, intelligent women with cunning plans and clever retorts - now, there were women you could look up to! Sadly, they always died in the end, but that was only because those wide-eyed debutantes muddled the plan. No, I’ve always been a fan of the wicked witches, evil queens - those Amazonian figures who defied gender roles but still managed to do so with a certain amount of panache. Their intelligence gave them an appeal that defied age and an allure that was more than surface deep. Why is it, do you think, that we don't get very many powerful, ambitious women as heroines? Better yet, what are we gonna do about it?

4 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

Well I never liked Disney films in general, but I always went for the cowboy in the black hat rather than the white one!

Jennie said...

The baddies were the best in Disney films. When I was at college we had to put on a performance of 'Snow white' for some school children. I played the wicked queen and I loved it!

Liz Harrell said...

Mmm... Millificent was the best. But my personal inspiration was the evil queen from Snow White. I used to scream "I'll crush your bones!" at my little sisters. Good times.

Linda said...

I have an evil queen inside me too-who doesn't? In fact, I'm wondering if that is the real me.