Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Lovies

A friend of mine sent out an e-mail today about her twin girls turning 20 months. She mentioned that they each had their own special "lovie." I had never heard that term before used for a favorite toy, but I really like it. My sister had her "binkie," a big orange rabbit. My niece and nephews have their favorite "cuddles." I had an old fashioned teddy bear. His name was K. C. after Kansas City where my parents bought him. K. C. was my loyal companion for more years than I care to admit, and it wasn't really until I left for college that he was tucked away in my hope chest. Those little paws have dried tears, shared cups of tea and swashbuckling adventures. He's a brave little bear, my K. C.
I'm lucky to also have my dad's bear, Teddy Richard. Poor Teddy Richard has had a rough life and it shows. I've started several times to replace his lost button eye, but somehow it doesn't seem right. Don't you know he has some stories to tell!
I can remember how comforting it was to clutch my little bear when I was scared, how I never felt alone if he was there to play make-believe with me. Strange, isn't it? How a bit of fabric and stuffing can come to life in a child's mind. Stories like The Velveteen Rabbit, Winnie The Pooh, and Paddington Bear certainly capture that. Do you still have your childhood "lovie"?

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I have a panda that I have had since I was born. He has most of his fur hugged off him now and is looking very shabby but I love him!
He sits on my chest of drawers now!

the mother of this lot said...

I had a teddy but I don't know where he is now. This lot have probably massacred him!

I've left you an award!

Anna Lea said...

My dear sweet Angie remembers bo-bo bunny lol!!!! I still have him too!

Mrs. Fox said...

Annie - Poor BoBo, his nose fell off and his ears had to be sewed back on. Seems like he wore a Band-Aid or two. You nearly loved him to pieces. I'm glad he's having a quiet retirement.