Saturday, May 31, 2008

I wish I had written that . . .

Every once in awhile you run across a song or a poem or a story or a piece of art that just grabs hold of your attention. It's different for everyone. Something that I find absolutely amazing is probably boring or cliche to someone else. I say that but, personally, I'm never bored learning new things about other people. We're all so different and yet so much alike. Indisputable proof, in my opinion, that there is a God.

Back in 1998 the movie Practical Magic came out - great movie, better book - and there was this song on the soundtrack that totally captivated me. To this day I can hear that song and feel so . . . in tune. I can't explain it. There's something universal and true in it that speaks to me. Anyway, here is Nowhere and Everywhere by Michelle Lewis. I wish I had written that.

*The image to the left is a leather mask designed for carnival in Venice. I wish I had saved the artist's name, but it definitely ranks as one of those "wish I had made that" treasures.

6 comments:

Kathi said...

That is a great song. I have not seen the movie, but now I simply must.

I feel like you do about music. I can't explain it. Sometimes I hear a new song and know instinctively that it will be a hit or not. I should get hired for that.

I heard Alison Krauss's "Baby, Now that I've Found You," for the first time, and it brought me instantly OUT of a depression; no kidding. The same thing happened with Bryan Ferry's "More Than This." I've only had a few dark days in my life, but those songs were instrumental in turning them around. Have a great weekend, and thanks for your kind comments about my coffee cups. Kathi

Maggie May said...

I do know this feeling. It can come from reading a book or hearing a song.......... mostly anytime. I have often thought I could have written something that some one else has written. Guess its easier said than done!

Hugo the Chinchilla said...

I completely know the feeling you are talking about! Sometimes I'll even start to have a vague idea about something I want to express and then I will hear or see almost exactly what was nagging at the edges of my brain.

Mrs. Fox said...

Hugo, there is something so awe-inspiring and yet comforting when you find someone out there in this big 'ol mess who felt like you felt for even a second. It's that common thread of humanity that gives me hope that we might all make it out of here OK. :)

It's really why I try to write at all - striving for The Universal something that holds it all together.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. You can't really explain it, but I think you're right - that is why we read, write, and enjoy music... and it is a magical moment when we say, "YES! They get it." Maybe trascendent is not quite the right word, but it almost does it. A good book or a good song takes you out of the moment until you feel like it's all the same moment, almost. And it makes you feel human and UNDERSTOOD.

On the flip side, I find one of the most uncomfortable things in life is to be MISunderstood. Hm.

Jennie said...

I love the 'Practical magic' movie, (I love what they wear! But the children got on my nerves) I much prefer the book. The soundtrack is beautiful.